Breaking The Rules
- Eat this
- Don’t eat that
- Follow set workout nutrition rules
- Go to bed or get up at a certain time
- Identify your top priority for the day, and do it first
- Follow a set program for training
- Eat at set times
- Clear out your inbox daily, or at least get it below 10 emails
I’m kind of sick of it all. I guess rules have their place in a busy life; help us to maintain some order amongst the chaos of trying to be, do and have it all. But seriously – when every single day of every single week starts to become automated, haven’t we actually lost the quest for balanced and happy living and just found ourselves victims of some kind of robot-like quest to never have to think for ourselves or in the moment?
And correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the point of it all, well, to be able to enjoy our lives and live with freedom? I don’t know about you, but freedom to me does NOT denote the daily prioritisation and planning of every element of my life.
How do you break the rules and stay in control?
Here is what I think life – and getting/staying in shape – should be about:
- Learning new things; trying new things – but not doing them or continuing with them purely because you ‘should’
- Listening to your body about what to eat, and when to eat. Never assuming that what works for someone else will work for you, no matter who said so. Never assuming that you ‘have to’ follow any given rule. Not being afraid to eat real food – yes even fats – but also not being afraid to skip a meal here and there.
- Eating food that makes you feel good psychologically as well as physically
- Doing training that makes you feel strong, powerful, alive. Recognising that sometimes you do have to just start in order to get into that feeling but also recognising that if you’re continually doing workouts that you feel you should be doing rather than that make you feel amazing then perhaps it’s time to try something new
- Not missing sleep to do things you ‘should’, unless through experience you learn that the way you feel from doing these things is worth it
- Never doing anything unless it is worth it to YOU. This doesn’t mean being selfish. But find the reason for your actions; don’t do things just because you should
It really all comes back to that nasty little ‘s’ word, doesn’t it.
If, like me, you’ve found yourself caught up in living the life you should live and a little off track from living the life you’d love to live than I urge you to stop and remember that life is NOW. This is it; this is your chance to be, do and have what you dream of. And if what you’re doing right now isn’t working for you, if it isn’t making you happy, if it doesn’t fit in with your values, your ideals, if it’s not what you really and truly consider important.
Then for heavens sake stop. And think about what does matter. What does make you feel most alive. Most yourself. Most on fire.
And do more of that. Today. Even for just a few minutes.
Don’t forget –
Life is Now. Press Play.