News

9 Simple Rules To Eating Healthy While Traveling

how-to-eat-healthy-on-the-road

There’s nothing more annoying than the realization that your hard-earned health and fitness has gone completely out the window. This can happen all too often if you’re a frequent traveler – in fact, sometimes it can seem as though every step you take forward is swiftly annulled by two huge leaps backward.

Eating healthy while on the go is tough. In fact, it’s probably one of the most commonly cited reasons for dietary and exercise failure. But unless you only travel once or twice a year (in which case I say you should relax and indulge!) then it’s worth learning what it takes to stay in control of your eating plan and within reach of those smaller belt-holes.

Wouldn’t you say?

Here’s what you need to do:

1. Know your options

If you’re not sure what sort of food will be on offer on your trip, then take the time to find out. Ask ahead as to whether your meetings/events are catered – and try to find out what will be served. Never assume that it will be ‘real’ food. You might come across as difficult or anal, but this is where you need to decide what’s important to you – the way people perceive you, or command of your health and waistline. If you know you’re eating at a certain restaurant, call ahead or jump online to see what sort of food is served. The first rule of battle is to know your enemy. Fail to do your research and I guarantee you’re doomed to fail.

2. Be prepared, and have a plan

It pays to be prepared regardless of how good the food on your trip will supposedly be. Who knows when you’re going to be stranded or served up some inedible floury mess. If you know you’re going to have to source your own food, or suspect that the food on offer won’t be up to par, then take the time to research other options. Always hit the ‘net before your trip and find out where the closest supermarket is, as well as what sort of restaurants and cafes are in the area. This really doesn’t take much effort, and it saves you relying on mini bar food or the easy temptation of the corner store. If you know you absolutely can’t avoid a ‘bad’ meal, then make an extra effort to eat really well the night before and earlier in the day. Take-away during travel is always an easy choice, but usually not the best one.

3. Snack smart

Mid-afternoon muffins or candy bars are (I don’t have to tell you) a sure-fire way to post-trip regrets. Worse, they tend to create a cyclic need for more of the same. Play it safe by staying off the sugar rollercoaster in the first place by making the choice to snack smart. This will require some prior planning. Depending on the length/location of your trip, you may be able to pre-pack some snacks from home. Alternatively you’ll need to make time to hit that supermarket you found online, and remember to keep your briefcase/backpack stocked. Smart snacks include raw nuts and seeds, home-made trail mix (add a few goji or cranberries and some dark chocolate to the nuts), fresh berries, beef or turkey jerky, peanut or other nut butters (just carry the jar with you), fresh fruit, or half a quality protein shake – pre-pack small plastic bags with the powder and carry a shaker to mix on the go.

4. Hydrate regularly

Simple, cheap, and obvious. But probably one of the most easily forgotten aspects of healthy living – and I’m not just talking when you’re on the road. However, travel often makes you forgetful and even the most avid water-drinker can go through near an entire day without knocking back more than bad coffee. First things first – as soon as you wake up you MUST drink 2 glasses of tepid water. This will spark digestion, boost your metabolism, and ready your belly for breaky. Next – do NOT, I repeat do NOT, leave for the day without grabbing a bottle of water to carry with you. Don’t kid yourself that you’ll pick one up later; it’s not worth taking the risk that you may not have the chance. Once you’re on the go, position the water somewhere you’ll see it – a cup holder in the car, or in front of you on the table. As soon as it’s empty, get a re-fill. You’ll find that when you start the day with water on your mind it will be much easier to continue the habit right through.

5. Know when to say no, and when to indulge

You don’t have to be a spoilsport all the time. There’s nothing wrong with enjoying an indulgent dinner or lunch as part of your trip, particularly if you’re entertaining clients or meeting old friends. Nobody wants to have their own meal ruined by watching someone else pick at plain chicken and salad. But the truth is that these sort of eating incidences are very unlikely to be required of you 3 times a day, every day. Decide in advance that you’re going to be super strict for each meal eaten on your own or during a meeting. If you’re travelling for pleasure, aim to eat healthy throughout the day and let your hair down at night. By learning when to say no you’ll avoid the guilt-trip of a rich dinner out. What’s more, you won’t have to say no to dessert!

6. Choose your alcohol wisely

The greatest problem with excess or unusual alcohol consumption is the lack of eating discretion that can follow. Assuming you’re not going to binge drink every night (and if you are, then this probably isn’t the article for you), let’s decide that it’s okay to enjoy a glass or two. I wouldn’t call that excessive, and if it’s only for a week or two at most, it’s certainly not going to cause any long-term problems. However – the decision of what to drink is one that should be made carefully. Spirits plus soft drink times 2 each night might not be the best choice. Daily beer consumption is also a big no-no when it comes to your health and your waistline. But a glass or two of wine or champagne not only keeps you social but has the added benefit of stocking you chock-full of antioxidants. In fact, I often prescribe wine as part of the BioSignature hormone correction program I offer.

7. Eat a good breakfast (fill up in advance)

No matter how late the night before was, breakfast is always a must. Particularly given the possible eating uncertainties of the day ahead. By breaking the fast you will fan your metabolism, boost your energy and mental focus, decrease the likelihood of cravings or poor eating habits later on in the day, and assist your body in detoxifying any bad food choices you have had to make. You just can’t miss this daily foundation. If you’re lucky enough to be staying in a decent hotel you should have a pretty good selection on hand. If not, you’ll need to hit a cafe (again, be sure to have one in mind before getting up). Either way, avoid the temptation of cakes, muffins, croissants, and even fruits. Load up on eggs (poached or omelette as opposed to fake-egg scramble, which is full of oxidized cholesterol), beans rather than bread, vegies such as spinach or mushrooms, and perhaps some full-fat yogurt to finish you off. For more ideas on an ideal breaky, see my Ideal Breakfast article. It’s a step-by-step guide to laying the right food foundation.

8. Choose the lesser of evils

Sometimes you just can’t choose healthy food. Maybe your flight got in late and you ran out of options. Perhaps your meeting or event ran overtime and your good plans flew out the window. Or maybe you just forgot to be organized and now you’re stuck. If you don’t have a choice then something is always better than nothing, but at least ensure it’s the better of several bad somethings. When in doubt, always go for foods that contain some form of animal protein. If it’s surrounded by or served with processed starchy carbs, leave most of that on the plate. If sandwiches are all you can access, take several and then leave most of the bread – fill up on fillings instead. Choose chocolate over sugar-only candies, cordial over soft drink, tea over coffee, protein or fat over carbs. Make smart choices where you can and accept it when you can’t – but be all the more prepared for next time.

9. Focus on each day as it comes

There’s no point in trying to pre-plan your entire trip (assuming it’s more than a day or two). Unless you’re going to live on jerky and nuts, at some point you’re going to have to find food on the go. I find that the best way to ensure a healthy diet while traveling is to take each day as it comes. I don’t mean on the day – plan ahead by a day in advance. Have your snacks in place, be aware of where and roughly what you’ll be eating for your main meals, and even pre-purchase the next day’s water bottle. And if you do end up having to write off a day then try not to worry about it. It is what it is. But the good news is that tomorrow’s a new day – and one that you still have the power to win.

Life is Now. Press Play.

Kat

*What do you do to eat well while on the go? Please share any tips or tricks that have worked for you in the comments section below! In fact, if you’re a regular reader and haven’t been active in the BodyIncredible community then now is the time – I want your involvement, your feedback, and your questions! So why not make this the day to leave a comment before you go – if you’re reading from RSS or email you’ll have to enter the blog to do this. You can do that by clicking on the title of this piece. ‘Post a comment’ is at the article end, right under the ’share this’ and ‘related posts’ options.

If you haven’t yet subscribed to this feed, what are you waiting for? Do it now. You can choose either email or RSS by clicking here. If you enjoyed this article please forward to your friends. Thank-you!

PS

MONETIZE THAT SHIT NO MATTER WHAT

{AND DO WHAT YOU WANT ALL DAY}

A One-Time Live Online Workshop with Katrina Ruth, on How to Make Money Anywhere, Anytime, With ZERO Dependance on Any One Platform, Program or Tool … Aka JUST BECAUSE THAT’S WHO YOU ARE … AND – With the Greatest of Ease

Okay. Imma gonna get straight up on your ass about what needs to be said here, because obviously SOMEBODY needs to hit the damn truth button on this shit!!

Straight up from the gate up, you do NOT make money because of Facebook.

Because of Instagram.

Because of email.

Because of ANY of this shit.

You make money because of who you are and what you decide and make NON-NEGOTIABLE, period, The End!

As you may be aware, in the last day or so Facebook and Instagram went down down down OH so far down.

After a few obligatory ‘stop the world!’ messages to my team and friends (which resulted in a serious convo with one of my soul sisters as to whether we’d now have to become porn stars instead), I got back to business.

The business of posting and selling shit on Facebook, which is admittedly a big part of what I do each day???

Nah … the business of being ME, because THAT is what I actually do each day, and also?

It’s what gets me paid.

Funnily enough, as is often the way with these things, just yesterday somebody was making smart-ass comments to me about how all the coaches would survive if there was no Facebook or Instagram.

“How would they survive?”, I asked myself.

“Well, I have no idea how THEY would survive but I sure as shit know how I would survive:

Very fucking well indeed, thank you very much, because that is who I AM”

Word to the wise:

A) I was making serious money long before I used Facebook for it.

Allow me to say it again for those in the back: YOU MAKE MONEY BECAUSE OF WHO YOU ARE AND THE LEVEL YOU VIBRATE AT.

Vibrate?

It’s an energy thang baby, a frequency shiz niz, it’s just who you ARE and how life works for you.

Handy hint —> the level of wealth you enjoy or moan over now is already just a direct reflection of your frequency, and expectations. It ain’t got jack shit to do with what you do, and it certainly is not a product of which tools are available to you.

It is a product of YOU.

When the socials went down today it was FASCINATING to me to observe the response that came through in the in-between-y bits when people managed to post something.

People worrying about how it would impact their business, or feeling in some way handcuffed.

This is crazy! It’s fear-mongering at its worst and it’s an absolute SHITTY mentality as far as belief systems around where results come from.

Do you know what I felt, when I realised we couldn’t use Facebook as normal for our biz stuff?

EXCITEMENT.

It took a minute to click in, but I found myself getting all wriggly and lit up with excitement.

I love a damn challenge 🙂

And since I also choose to believe that everything is happening FOR me, I also took personal responsibility for this occurrence.

Obviously FB and Insta had gone down in order to force me to finally pull my finger out and learn how to go live on YouTube.

But mainly – hell YEAH to the opportunity to get creative!

Probably taking the whole thing a little bit too far, as I worked my way through some sprints on the rower post HIIT weights session, I started to imagine what would happen if Facebook was TRULY GONE AND NO LONGER OF THIS WORLD.

I got MORE excited with each second that passed (which makes me remember how damn BORED I get as soon as I know how to easily do something aka make money all day err day on Facebook), and I also found myself AUTOMATICALLY GOING INTO ZAG MODE.

Zag?

You know, like ‘When They Zig you Zag’. A classic, if ever there was one!! Thank you Dad, for always having all the BEST books on your bookshelf for me to start reading from 10 or 11 years of age!

See, I have a belief system which works rather well for me and I guess is just part of who I am –

I believe that things ALWAYS work out perfectly for me, and are always done FOR me …

I believe I am always on path …

I believe I always make the right decision, so therefore I never have to beat myself up, I just wait for the lesson –

AND

(drumroll)

I believe that my outcomes are predicated only by my choices, and that there is nothing I EVER need in order to get or maintain or ONLY improve on an existing outcome.

It’s this mindset that causes me to wonder what TF it has to do with anything when people say things like they can’t be in shape ’cause they have kids or just had a kids … or ’cause they can’t get to the gym (for example)

And it’s also this mindset that causes me to KNOW that the money I make and the impact my soul work has in the world has NOTHING to do with what tools or platforms are available to me or working.

I programmed myself a long time ago to IMMEDIATELY swerve if something was no longer serving me or working for me. It’s this part of my mind which therefore right away started coming up with creative and imaginative solutions for how business would OF COURSE carry on (and improve!) with or without social media.

And it’s also this part of my mind which of course right away finds a way to monetize the damn thing and turn it into epic and highly helpful content for you, aka this workshop!

It’s just how I think, and who I am. I am simply unavailable for NOT moving forward, and nothing will ever ever EVER make me believe that I have to depend on anything outside of me for my results.

So why a whole damn workshop on the concept?

Well, it’s more than that, isn’t it?

It’s a mindset of believing that you always get what you want.

It’s a mindset of believing that everything always works out for you.

It’s a mindset of believing that NOTHING can stop you.

That everything is working in your favour.

And?

That you can monetize ANYTHING, any time you choose, and with no ‘requirements’ in order to do so!

I don’t have to tell you that obvs the outcomes you get directly follow and reflect your mindset and your beliefs!!

Here is what else, as well:

This is not just about making money any time, from any thing, and knowing that even with challenge or things going wrong you only THRIVE and EXPAND!!

For me this goes hand in hand with duh – I get to do all of that on my terms.

By having FUN, and being in FLOW, and with ease.

In fact, the more money the more ease!! #justhowitis

That I can literally click my fingers and money shows up for me, meanwhile I’m just over here doing ma thang.

Speaking of which –

I think it’s about time I shared exactly what I currently DO all day, yeah? And how I do it / fit it all in / honour ALL the areas, PLUS manage to spend so much time sitting on my ass doing sweet FA!

In other words … !

Let’s hang out together this weekend!!

Introducing:

MONETIZE THAT SHIT NO MATTER WHAT

{AND DO WHAT YOU WANT ALL DAY}

A One-Time Live Online Workshop with Katrina Ruth, on How to Make Money Anywhere, Anytime, With ZERO Dependance on Any One Platform, Program or Tool … Aka JUST BECAUSE THAT’S WHO YOU ARE … AND – With the Greatest of Ease

> It’s happening Thursday March 21 at 11.30am Brisbane time (Wednesday 9.30pm NYC / 1.30am London, UK)

> All fully recorded if you can’t attend live

> ALL your questions answered (either live during the workshop, or afterwards in the group if you can’t attend live)

> KILLER bonus content on Top 11 Most Effective & Proven ‘When They Zig You Zag’ Sales Secrets

> Live support from meeeeee in the group afterwards for anything extra you want and need to know!

> Free Bonus Entire COURSE for Everyone! My $197 Alignment & Asskickery Toolkit, a 14-Day Smackdown to Bring You Back to YOU, and Into Massive Aligned and Result Based Action! Yes, that’s an entire $197 course and you’re paying less than half of that for this entire workshop!

> All content yours to keep for life!!

GET IT, AT THIS PRICE! >>> https://zw144.infusionsoft.com/app/orderForms/Monetize-That-Shit-No-Matter-What

What We Will Be Covering!

1) How to Monetize ANY Situation, Including But Not Limited To:

* When social media or any typically depended upon platform goes down (including examples of how I have down this several times, to the tune of tens of thousands)

* Hater situations (including examples, again multiple times, again tens of thousands of dollars)

* When you make a fool of yourself / something embarrassing happens or you screw up (also examples! also lots and lots of lovely moolah)

* When people ‘screw you over’ (ahem, we will talk about this) or desert you (also examples! more money!)

* Basically how to turn any and all life situations, moods, changes of the moon, emotional ups and downs, real life SHIT, to money!

2) Why the ‘When Shit Happens’ times are often the BEST times to make money, aka this is where I teach you what it really means to understand human psychology in terms of SALES, and the mindset of being an actual IN THE FLOW entrepreneur, who ALWAYS sees opportunity and jumps straight on it

3) When NOT to Monetize (okay that one you can have for free – never!!)

4) Understanding Where Money Really Comes From – and aligning yourself TO the frequency of wealth, such that you can literally NOT.BE.IMPACTED by anything that 99.99% of people think will cost them business

5) Money Vibration Principles Revealed (… my own personal philosophies and things that I live by / instil into my being around this, including my own daily practices)

6) Coding For Success

* How to ALWAYS have an endless stream of ideas

* AUTOMATIC continual unleashment of creativity and imagination, especially in so-called times of struggle

* Seeing past problems and accessing higher self in order to always know the answer, and how to move forward

7) Programming to Upgrade – the beliefs, energetic states and emotional patterns you require in order to be this person, have all this work for you, ALWAYS see and have the ability to act on the shit that will most pay off

The ‘Do What You Want All Day’ Bit:

* Exactly how my typical day flows and how I operate for maximum efficiency of time, energy, mental acuity, soul connectedness, etc

* Getting it all done as a busy entrepreneur (and single Mum, in my case) who also refuses to operate at anything less than EXCELLENT in terms of self-care, fitness, fun, playtime, etc

* Exactly what I do all day, broken down to the detail, to helm this becoming-8-figure-empire

* Exactly what I do NOT do all day, either it just gets ignored (hint: a LOT that most online marketers think matters!), or I let other people do it for me

* Calling in soulmate support, even long before you are ready to afford it

* Optimizing energy, focus, personal power, happiness, general flow. Aka mindset and also brain / nutrition hacks and so on

* TIME MANIFESTATION. OH YES IT IS A THING.

AND, while we’re at it, we will also be talking INSTANT MANIFESTATION. The exact process I use to bring the future into the NOW, by clearing all blocks existing between its reality in the quantum and its physical manifestation in the now!!

GET IT, AT THIS PRICE! >>> https://zw144.infusionsoft.com/app/orderForms/Monetize-That-Shit-No-Matter-What

PLUS!

I’ll be doing this ‘Rapid-Fire’ Session at the end!!

1) What it really means to be magnetic online – hint: it’s not about having a pretty and polished website or online presence!

2) Bringing the ‘in private / behind the scenes’ version of you to the public

3) Unapologetic messaging and soul baring to call in your true #soultribe

4) Audience quality vs quality, and active elimination of those who don’t ‘HELL yes’ on your content

5) People don’t buy your products, they buy you. No – people don’t buy you, they buy your energy!! What that means and how to let it out

6) Being real about where you need to take care of YOU in order to be able to show up and shine fully

7) Keeping a laser-focus and tunnel-vision on your own path, and having the courage to pave the way that feels right for you even if it’s not been done before

8) Discernment to walk the line between being polarising and positively outrageous as opposed to just a hot mess 🙂 Scaling and magnetizing FROM the chaos of creativity and following the true artists way!

9) Knowing which ideas to work, what will sell, and how best to sell it so that the entire launch and selling experience is fun AND rewarding for both your audience and you

10) Creating hell yes offers that make them scream yes!

I know!

This workshop is off the HOOK already, and we haven’t even accounted for all the random shiz which will be coming out of me!!

GRAB YOUR SPOT NOW, ONE TIME ONLY! >>> https://zw144.infusionsoft.com/app/orderForms/Monetize-That-Shit-No-Matter-What

Don’t forget the bonuses >>>> !!!

> KILLER bonus content on Top 11 Most Effective & Proven ‘When They Zig You Zag’ Sales Secrets

> Live support from meeeeee in the group afterwards for anything extra you want and need to know!

> Free Bonus Entire COURSE for Everyone! My $197 Alignment & Asskickery Toolkit, a 14-Day Smackdown to Bring You Back to YOU, and Into Massive Aligned and Result Based Action! Yes, that’s an entire $197 course and you’re paying less than half of that for this entire workshop!

> All content yours to keep for life!

What are you waiting for? You KNOW that if you apply even ONE tip of the approximately gajillion I’m sharing here you’re going to 100x your investment back! Which is why I am even EXTRA excited to be able to give this to you at such a low price, as per the commandment of my soul!! Plus it’s fun 🙂

Okay then! See you IN there baby!

GET YOUR PLACE NOW! >>> https://zw144.infusionsoft.com/app/orderForms/Monetize-That-Shit-No-Matter-What

You may also like

5 Comments

  1. Carla says:

    This is all really good advice. We just relocated out of state and one of the biggest mistakes I made was not eating enough. Getting so caught up in just getting to our next stop, etc really did a number on me. When I dont eat enough, I get horrible migraines no matter how much water I drink. Filling up on protein early really sets me up for the rest of the day in terms of energy and vitality.

    When we travel, we always find places in advance of going. Having our laptop on the road (for motel/hotel WiFi) is a life saver too.

  2. Right on about pre planning – I love making up my own trail mix – nuts, seeds, goji’s, cranberries, chick nuts – whatever you want to throw tastes great

    1. Kat says:

      Chick nuts – that’s one I hadn’t even thought about. Great idea!

  3. Jessie says:

    I was wandering what you would recommend for longer trips. I’m leaving soon to go backpacking for three months and was wandering how I can manage to meet my nutritional needs and eat healthy over this time.

    Thanks!

    1. Kat says:

      Travelling for that long just means doing your research. Depends on whether you’re going off track (although that probably means more ‘real’, healthy food) or mainly in cities. In my experience healthy eating mainly goes astray when you’re out on your feet all day and start to get tired. COmbat this by internet-searching organic stores or fresh food markets before you arrive somewhere. IN each new city, hit the market on your first day and stock up on easily transportable snacks, such as jerky, nuts and seeds, berries. Avoid dried fruit. If you can access even a kettle, you can boil eggs to carry with you through the day as well!

Comments are closed.

array(6) { [0]=> array(3) { ["image"]=> int(43377) ["title"]=> string(9) "Abundance" ["url"]=> string(47) "https://thekatrinaruthshow.com/abundancecourse/" } [1]=> array(3) { ["image"]=> int(43378) ["title"]=> string(19) "Discipline Your Ass" ["url"]=> string(49) "https://thekatrinaruthshow.com/disciplineyourass/" } [2]=> array(3) { ["image"]=> int(43379) ["title"]=> string(19) "Money Honey Program" ["url"]=> string(49) "https://thekatrinaruthshow.com/moneyhoneyprogram/" } [3]=> array(3) { ["image"]=> int(43380) ["title"]=> string(26) "MULTIPLE 6-FIGURES LOW END" ["url"]=> string(56) "https://thekatrinaruthshow.com/multi6withlowendworkshop/" } [4]=> array(3) { ["image"]=> int(43381) ["title"]=> string(17) "Love & Acceptance" ["url"]=> string(49) "https://thekatrinaruthshow.com/loveandacceptance/" } [5]=> array(3) { ["image"]=> int(43382) ["title"]=> string(24) "Journal Your Way to Rich" ["url"]=> string(52) "https://thekatrinaruthshow.com/journalyourwaytorich/" } }