What To Do If You’re Gaining Weight Despite Doing Everything Right
Today’s post is the last in this week’s series of reader correspondence and questions. The series follows the release of my new book, and the questions/feedback that have followed. Please see the end of this post for how to have your question answered in an upcoming article! Kat 🙂
Hi Kat. I have just come back from a 4-month break from exercise and now after 4 weeks back training, I have gained 3kg on my 51kg frame (this is the heaviest I have been). I have always eaten very clean with the occasional treat, however since I have not been exercising I’ve been cutting back on calories. Now I am on a 1500-cal meal plan drinking more water, but cannot understand why I have gained extra 3kg in 4 weeks. Exercise-wise, I do 3 day resistance/HIIT & 3 or 4 times Bikram. Feeling rather down as it is not muscle but flab that has collected around my stomach, butt & thighs. Katherine.
Hi Katherine – what does your low-cal diet consist of?
Breakfast: 1/4 cup of rolled oats made with water mixed with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter. 1 egg + 3 egg whites 1 cup of spinach.
Snack: 4 celery sticks & 1 tablespoon of peanut butter.
Lunch: 4oz chicken baked chicken breast or a tin of sardines 2 cups of salad greens 1 thick slice of sprouted bread
Dinner: 4oz kangaroo steak or atlantic salmon (Birdseye frozen) 1 cup of broccoli 1/2 cup cauilflower sweet potato or steamed pumpkin or quiona
Snack: 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with 8 almonds or 1/2 cup raw milk & 1/2 cup of water with chai herbs – YUM – 8 almonds or walnuts.
Post workout: 6 dates 1 scoop whey protein powder & 1 small banana, flaxseeds mixed with water.
Maybe I am be too impatient, whereas beforehand I was cutting out on the starchy carbs & bread, however I do not have these with every meal.
Hi Katherine. In my opinion you need more protein … eat the egg yolks, that’s the best part. It has all the good fats and good cholesterol necessary for fat burning and metabolism. Even (most) doctors agree on that these days! Also I would suggest more protein through the day. 4-6 times, and more green veg if possible. Peanut butter might be an issue. I’m not against it, but try cutting it out for 2 weeks and see what happens. It’s a common intolerance. Post workout just have whey protein, no sugars at all! Not until you are as lean as you want to be. Your diet is very good overall, but try these changes and see what happens. It could also be a stress issue or lack of sleep?
Thank you so much for quick reply Kat & taking the time to answer my questions. Yes stress is an issue unfortunately, and I’m also sleepy lightly at night as I making 3 toilet trips to empty my bladder. Regarding protein, I will increased the lean protein to a larger portion then with each meal, & I honestly I thought I was ‘GREEN’ vegie out. I am now 54.4kg & 160cm, looking get down to around 13-15% bodyfat, so 1500 calories be what I should shoot for or more or less??
If you eat protein 4-6 times p/day, max 40-50 nuts, unlimited green veg and only berries for fruit then you don’t need to count calories. 1500 could be good or bad depending on the content. Also try using coconut oil as a good fat source to increase your metabolism 🙂 Take some good quality magnesium to help you sleep and manage stress or it can make you gain weight regardless of nutrition! This is my recommended mag – as a former full-blown insomniac I absolutely swear by it. Many of my clients with sleep or stress issues say the same thing.
Cool, believe it or not I was I was taking in around 3 to 4 tablespoons of coconut oil daily (read the coconut diet & followed meal ideas) & when I had my blood test, my cholesterol rose from 4.5 to 8.1 & LDL’s are 5.5 … YIKES!!! I thought that BS, as everything I read on CO says it lowers cholesterol and lowers LDL’s. My Alternative Doctor recommends that I having low cholesterol all of my life then adding CO it shocked my system ??? & it could settle down after few months, however I did reduce my intake to 1 tablespoon now. My eating habits did not change in that above period, just adding the coconut oil into my meal plans. At present I now only cook my eggs and chicken/roo meat in it.
Hmmm. That’s very strange. I’ve done an extensive amount of research on coconut oil, and use it with great success both personally and with my clients. The book Eat Fat Lose Fat is great for learning more about this and other good fats, and is one of my personal favourites. Everything I’ve learned about coconut oil indicates that it helps lower bad cholesterol and increase good. To me this indicates something going on at a deeper level. After quite a bit of further research, and the help of a few BioSignature colleagues, I’ve come up with several possibilities.
- The first possibility is that the inclusion of unnecessary sugar in your diet is causing sticky (glycinated) protein, and that this is leading to insulin spiking and therefore increased bad cholesterol. However – after having questioned you again about your food – I know this isn’t the case with you.
- The next possibility is one of quality. Coconut oil – like any oil – should absolutely only be used in a pristine organic state, and if it’s stored in plastic then make sure the plastic never becomes warm.
- The final possibility, and the one that I feel quite likely for you, is that you have a natural intolerance to coconut oil. This is an idea that a colleague of mine suggested, and it makes a lot of sense. If you’re intolerant to something it can cause increased immune activity which in turn can lead to elevated cholesterol. To me this makes more sense than the adaptation theory. Based on this I’d suggest you find a good kinesiologist to muscle test you for intolerance and/or have an allergy panel done through a functional doctor who uses a reputable lab like Meridian Labs.
There a couple of other things to point out regarding your weight. If coconut oil is an issue then that alone could cause weight gain (as will any food intolerance), but I really think the issues of sleep and stress can’t be underrated. If you can put steps into place to address those it could make a big difference. My final piece of advice would be to increase your resistance training to 3-4 days a week (40-60 minutes) rather than doing quite so much HIIT training instead of resistance. This is particularly relevant to stress, as any form of cardio will elevate cortisol and thus increase fat storage more so than what resistance training will do.
I hope that gives you some hope and some ideas to work on and look forward to hearing how you go!
*Do you have any questions for me that you’d be happy to have answered in the form of a blog post? Contact me here or reply in the comments below. I am happy to withhold your name if you prefer. Thank-you!
Did you see this? SYDNEEEYYYYYYY!!!
New! ‘Uplevel Your Shit’ 2-Day Business Smackdown Intensive Mastermind in Sydney this April 23 and 24!
Want to spend 2 amazing days with me AND my in-house marketing ninja / COO of The Katrina Ruth Show Ash Gregory this April?
I’m putting together an exclusive and VERY intimate high-level LIVE mastermind event for high-level badasses who are willing to do the work to uplevel their shit … fast!
– exploding new client and audience growth (aka lead gen as fuck, the soul way)
– monetisation of YOU
– how to make money all day every day just for being you … you know, FULLY you
– automation of money flow and ALL biz growth / audience growth systems so that you can do even MORE of just being you and letting the whole thing flow
*** This is a HANDS ON implementation event, the likes of which I have not offered in 5 years!! Sydney ONLY! ***
The purpose of this time together, aside from of course ALL the fun and connection and shenaniganery, is for you to walk out ABSOLUTELY crystal clear on:
* The vision of the next level you it’s now time to step into
* Your true from soul message and purpose work
* Your soulmate clients and followers, and EXACTLY what to do and how to do it to call them in on repeat, like magic, ‘as if from nowhere’, daily
* Your current / new offerings, from low ticket to high ticket, as well as a baseline model for how to go from idea -> launch the flow way on repeat moving forward
* Your sales funnel* Sales copy
* Sales methodology, marketing, advertising, the works
* Positioning yourself as the next level leader who you know you are, and how to show up accordingly
* Multi-millionaire money mindset, and your blocks to that SHREDDED
* What you need to choose, clear, own, BE in order to step fully into your badassery
* And much more besides (PM for deets)
You will also have fully COMPLETED:
– Your current/ new offers from low through to high ticket
– Your funnel / new funnel, from flow
– ALL required sales copy / sales pages and materials
– Any advertising / marketing extras you need in place
Aka we are working side by side to build this shiz niz OUT right there in the room!
Ongoing support (a lot) is included in this, with myself AND my team, and there is also 1:1 with me included.
This will sell fast. I haven’t offered anything exactly like this ever, and anything close in 5 years, and places are strictly limited! The investment is of course not for everyone however FAR lower than what you may expect.