33 THINGS I USED TO THINK MADE ME LAZY AND A BAD ENTREPRENEUR, WHICH NOW MAKE ME A FUCKLOAD OF MONEY, LIVING MY PURPOSE
Do you feel lazy? Bad? Like you’re doing it wrong, and everybody else is so much more on top of things than you, so much more organised and calm and grown-up about it, they have so much good SHIT which you should also be doing, and their hair looks better too?!
I understand. And I’m gonna tell you something you are going to LOVE to hear!
I spent years feeling that way too … years in which I beat myself up for not doing it right! Years before I realised that actually? Me not being like the other entrepreneurs was kinda sorta maybe DEFINITELY what was causing my income to explode, my soulmate clients to find me, my purpose work to become a THING, and me?
To be as happy as a pig in mud doin’ it all.
If you’re continually beating up on yourself for all you think you SHOULD be doing, allow me to present to you a list of 33 things I never did, the ignoring of which ultimately led to me building a fully on my terms EMPIRE which makes millions of dollars each year, all just from me being me. Every mad and crazy and deviant and chaotic bit of me!!
Let’s begin –
1) I avoided doing things until I felt like it, until I really wanted to, or it actually felt like a must. I was constantly drained and exhausted by this! I felt so naughty!
2) I continually put off making content for my paid programs in advance
3) I never QUITE got around to making my membership sites or delivery of my shit all fancy like (often I didn’t even do a sales page!)
4) I told people it was fine if they said it ‘wasn’t time yet’, or their husband wasn’t sure, or that they were gonna manifest working with me, rather than be fucked to overcome their mostly bullshit objections, even though I know ALLLLLLLL the scripts on this shit, and was indeed great at it when I DID on occasion give a damn
5) I just ‘made things work’ in little 10 or 15 or 20 minute pockets of time, always rushing or doing a hack job as I was always trying to fit too much in, and refused to compromise on not just doing it ALL, even once kids came along, even though I. felt super guilty about this
6) I let my babies be heard on live trainings, even paid ones, if there wasn’t another choice. Still do! Many a livestream they’ve ended up bombing, often to embarrassing outcomes.
7) I didn’t bother to edit or clean up my work before pressing publish. I just wanted to get it out there, and get onto the next thing!
8) I just never quite got around to getting a professional website or photoshoot done, until I’d been marketing online for literally YEARS
9) I continually either put off, or half assed and then promptly ignored and did NOT implement, doing marketing and editorial calendars
10) I diligently re-wrote my task list every night, and then just as diligently ignored it the next day and proceeded to merrily do whatever the fuck I wanted instead
11) Despite the best of intentions, I never managed to pull off carrying out any master marketing or sales plans I saw other entrepreneurs doing, and thought that I ‘should’ do
12) I never properly launched a 3-part video series. #weep
13) The one time I tried to do the ‘launch formula’ I nearly had to hospitalise myself for anxiety, and so I just played deaf dumb and mute about the idea of ever doing it again even though I was worried I was missing key things in how I was selling
14) I avoided networking events like my life depended upon it, and even at conferences I would usually escape to the gym or my room during breaks. I was persistently anti-social, even though I felt bad about not ‘making connections’ and doing ‘jv’s’ and stuff.
15) Oh – I didn’t ever quite get around to doing the JV or affiliate marketing thing. I half tried once twice, but just never really bothered to actually make it a thing.
16) I never updated LinkedIn or Twitter with original content since 2011; I would just repurpose random shit onto there but I myself never even logged IN since 2011; just my team did, and then I eventually canned both of them. Plus Snapchat!
17) I never got around to joining speaker organisations, and getting myself out there
18) I still have zero fucking clue about what SEO really means, and I am sure as fuck not optimised for it
19) I did not track my Analytics
20) Or my opt-outs (haven’t looked at that number for at least 6 years)
21) Or try and ‘game’ what sort of content I should write to get a response
22) I also never quite got around to writing things purposefully to lead into a sale; I just wrote whatever the fuck I wanted and then kept feeling bad about being so random … but dropping sales links at the end anyway, even it wasn’t remotely relevant
23) I never heat-mapped a sales page
24) Or worried or was interested at all in what pathway people were taking through my website
25) I never learned how to copywrite. I just kept writing from my soul … err’day on repeat … which turns out to be a not-too-terrible foundation for speaking TO people’s souls, and having them want more of you!
27) My elevator pitch definitely goes for at least 2000 words. #suckit
28) I persistently did not shut up when told to, in some of the bigger female entrepreneur groups, for being a rabble-rouser or a black sheep, for always questioning if we really HAD to do it all zombie-preneur like. Got kicked out, too. Felt bad, and a little sad for being misundstood – didn’t these pussies see they needed to face truth?! – except for that the big picture was it was CLEARLY working for me.
29) I flat out refused to use Basecamp, Asana, or Evernote. No way, no how. Still will not NFC.
30) I flat out refused / refuse to use ANY software or ‘organisational tool’ except for gmail (I keep everything in email drafts) and WriteRoom (my black screen writing app)
31) I never got round to being more organised for my team, when I started to grow one, or not just vomit-emailing them 25 gajillion times a day. I kept thinking I’d become a calm and on top of things leader. I never did.
32) I continued to ramble on like a mofo and tangent all over the place instead of ever REMOTELY get to the point on my livestreams, even on my paid trainings a lot of the time! I kept telling myself to GET MY SHIT TOGETHER, but it just never quite happened! Slowly slowly I realised this was me BEING AN. ENTERTAINER … which I like. And works. Besides, business should be fun and there should ALWAYS be shenanigans and stories!
33) In general, I never got around being a not crazy chaotic messy all over the place leader, who just randomly makes shit up, throws it at the internet, and then tears it all down and starts again
Let’s get real, what all this comes down to is simple –
In GENERAL, I just never got around to being like the other entrepreneurs, or doing 99.99% of the things they said I should do!
I know, I know, NAUGHTY entrepreneur! DEVIANT leader! MESSY girl! Not to mention rude and inappropriate, according to most people! The NOT 0.01% people. …
You too?? Thought so …
And that’s the thing, isn’t it? We are NOT for everybody, and that’s okay.
But also … we are not supposed to be LIKE the others, in terms of how we do the things or even what those things ARE!
We use our powers and our ENERGY to magnetically call the fuck IN what we want.
And we do it in as MESSY AND CHAOTIC OF A MANNER AS WE WANT!
Let me tell you –
As a result of me continually IGNORING things my soul didn’t really desire to do –
Putting things off –
Being ‘lazy’ –
Flat out obstinate, about doing anything ‘tech-y’, or ‘numbers track-y’, or ‘join the dots and follow a formula-y’ –
Letting my babies get amongst it when that happened –
Keeping things unprofessional and hurried and hacked and raw and real as fuck –
Continually putting off making things cleaner, more polished, fancier –
Avoiding most anything that anybody else was doing or said should do, and also avoiding talking to most anybody else most of the time –
Not GIVING a fuck if people didn’t just love and accept me as I was, not adjusting my sales style or content style –
Never getting around to doing ‘purpose created’ content FOR selling or marketing or branding –
Never getting around to doing basically anything that was not me just MAKING SHIT UP AND THROWING IT AT THE INTERNET –
Do I actually have to say it?!
I created a motherfucking EMPIRE baby, on my terms and then some.
I used to think that nearly EVERYTHING I did (or didn’t do!) was bad or wrong, and so I would let it ‘get to me’, get myself all stressed out and let it DRAIN me, pull me away, when really what I was doing was following soul, and allowing creativity.
When I dropped the story of it being BAD, I allowed even MORE creative soul flow. And money
Being rushed and ‘doing too much’, yet ‘never the right things’ taught me to be REALLY fucking good at being really fucking good, fast, at what MATTERED. It also allowed me mastery, as a writer and speaker, by virtue of how much practice I have now had; practice which happened when I was IGNORING OTHER SHIT.
And somehow –
All of the stuff I ignored just didn’t end up needing doing. The Universe sorted it out
Or it became ease and flow and the ‘click of my fingers’ TO do it, when I did decide (like funnel stuff).
Even though I was so unprofessional, messy, chaotic, all the place and repeatedly breaking rules or just not DOING it right –
I drew in the most badass crazy mofo tribe on the internet –
Of incredible creators and entrepreneurs who love not in spite of me, but FOR me, and for the fact that how I show up so real and full on inspires them to do the same
And somehow –
While I was NOT doing all that shit, I became one of the most consistent and prolific from the fucking SOUL content creators on the internet!!
With a soulmate audience
Who buy my shit
Often without even caring the details!
Because they bought ME
And a soulmate team, too, who love and accept me in my madness!
It’s time for a reality check:
The WORLD will accept us when WE ACCEPT OURSELVES and own who we ARE.
Meanwhile, now, for me, as a result of DOING so, I just get to be over here #BEINGMOREKAT –
Makin’ shit up –
Merrily happening along on my chaotic way –
And unleashing it all at the internet.
I know it’s hard to let go of what you’ve been conditioned to think is right, appropriate, NEEDED, or normal.
But REALLY –
DID YOU FUCKING COME HERE TO NORMAL?
No! Of course not! We KNOW this about ourselves, and always have.
So why you trying so damn hard then?
Stop fighting who you are. You are allowed to be who you are! You are that way for a reason, and it SERVES others when you allow it!
It’s time to let go of the idea that the WAY YOU END UP NATURALLY DOING IT IS ANYTHING OTHER THAN PERFECT.
So SCREW the world, the industry, or what the FEMBOTPRENEURS have to say about any of it!
It’s time to wake up.
And THROW IT AT THE WORLD.
What were you hoping, that one day as a product of trying so damn hard to NOT be you, you end up more of you?
It’s time to get to fucking work.
MESSY, DEVIANT, AND CRAZY AS FUCK, how else?
And really –
Just the way we like it and have always wanted it, yes?
Don’t forget –
Life is Now. Press Play.